Thursday, March 11, 2010

Being Salt and Light


The man in the middle is my Jamaican brother. His name is Christopher. The Lord was able to minister to me through something he told me and I was in the Lord's goodness and graciousness able to share a bit of my testimony and the gospel message of Jesus Christ with him.

Christopher is a 33 year old man turning 34 on the 15the of this month. He has lived in Jamaica his whole life, but may be moving to Canada soon. He is one of the people that works in a small tourist stop shack. He makes items like statues and such. He lives off of each thing he sells. He actually is living inside his shack. He is not suppose to but does not have enough money to afford an apartment or small hut as I would say. I told him the night we took this picture that I would stop by his shack and buy something from him the next morning. -But since we went to the Mayfield fresh spring falls, I did not get time to stop by. Feeling bad that I had told him I was coming, I went out late that night to find him. I went to the restaurant I had met him the night before but did not find him. Like normal I was asked several times that night if I wanted to buy drugs of all sort. One of the men who asked me was a man whose name is Clifford. He is a 51 yr old that has 8 children with all different women. I politely told him I did not want any drugs. Got to know him and then asked do you know Christopher. He told me he did and took me to him. I bought each of the men a drink and talked to them about life. It was a blessed time to get to know these men that had experience so much of life. But I longed to tell them about Christ. I told Christopher I still wanted to buy something from him, so we went and I picked a statue out that reminded me of the people in Jamaica. He then gave me 2 other things for free. I told him that I didn't need anything else, but he wanted to give me them since I came and found him. He walked with back to my hotel room, and we talked about the Lord and Christ.

This is what he said that was so profoundly simple but was one of those phrases you want to sit and soak it all in. He said, "Seek the good; leave the bad."

We continued talking and after we had walked a bit I stopped and thought about it and asked him to repeat it. The love of the Lord is written on His creation! Even those who have not heard, or have not accepted Christ into their lives still have it written on the hearts! This is profound and exciting. PLUS it is challenging for us to continue to seek the good and leave the bad. Not to play with the bad or try it for a time but to leave it. To flee the bad.

He walked me all the way back and told me since it was dark it was not a good idea for a tourist to walk by themselves. I offered him a ride back in the rental he told insisted that it was okay and that he would walk. I told him it was not problem. I drove him back, asked him if you wanted a new testament. He said "ya man" I popped the trunk and gave him the Bible. He saw my puma's in the trunk. They are my favorite shoes. I have a thing for shoes, especially tennis shoes. He told me how he loved puma's. I asked if they would fit him-he said yes, so I told him he could have them. He was overcome and so thankful. I do not write that to boast. I have nothing to boast in. I am merely a human that deserves eternal separation from the Father, BUT has been ransomed because of my Savior Jesus Christ. This said, it is my joy to give my "stuff" away to deepen the effect of the love I long him to see that Christ has for him.

My desire for Minneapolis is to EXPERIENCE Christ. That they would long "to wear the puma's" I want Christ to blow the community out of the water with HIS LOVE. Religion is DEAD!!! Christ's love is eternal and will NEVER DIE. Church is good; but Christ is GREAT! Theology gives us wisdom, but Love from the Father allows us to experience Him and give love to the world. As a friend told me last night, "love summons love." Without love we have nothing. May we seek the good and leave the bad. May we love those that hurt us and condemn us. Even if you can't forgive-tell the Lord that. He will help you get through the valleys! He will also help you in the time of horrible memory to forgive the perpetrator. Cling to the king-Who was, Who is, and Who will always be! Be blessed. Be real!

1 Comments:

At March 15, 2010 at 8:09 AM , Blogger Marsha said...

Nate, what a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing such an inspiring account of how God walked with you and loved through you in Jamaica. You are doing wonderful things with Him and being a great example of Jesus. Press on! -Marsha

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

body {background-image:url("http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii179/chelstephenson/aquapoppydesigns/grungeyvine.jpg"); background-position: center; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-attachment: fixed; }